Are you looking for a fun and ongoing activity to do with your kids? Growing a garden together is a great way for children to see the fruit (and veggies) of their labor. So if you would like a vegetable garden and don’t know where to start? Here are some great tips to help you get started:
1. Location, location, location. Its best to plant your garden where there is full sunlight all day with easy water access.
2. You don’t have to plow your entire yard for a garden. You can plant a garden in a raised bed off your patio or you can plant a larger area if your yard permits.
3. Raised Beds off your patio can be purchased or built. Tilling with a tiller or even with a shovel can do a garden in the ground.
4. Make sure you keep your garden watered regularly but don’t overwater.
5. Check on your plants frequently.
6. Watch out for garden pest and bugs.
7. Improve your soil by tilling the ground, clearing the weeds, and other debris such as rocks and sticks. You may also add some compost to improve the organic material in your soil that will make your garden healthy.
8. Summer harvest plants include: tomatoes, peppers, squash, bush beans, eggplant, cucumbers and okra. Spring and Fall crops include: lettuce, broccoli, spinach and peas.
9. Place pine needles or mulch around your plant to protect the soil from drying out and it also keeps your soil temperature cooler.
10. Always allow enough space for your plants to grow.
Your family can enjoy fresh zucchini and squash, tomatoes and banana peppers and other delicious vegetables straight from the garden. Whether it is easier on the budget, a desire to be a bit healthier or just simply something for the family to do together, gardening is a great project for everyone to enjoy.