With busy schedules, getting a home-cooked meal on the table can be a challenge. The new 30 Minute Dinner Plan is perfect for anyone who thinks they’re too busy to cook. One of our meal plan writers shares her favorite recipe from this plan.
I love this dinner recipe for fall because it uses one of my favorite seasonal ingredients – apples, and it’s ready in no time for a quick weeknight meal. Starting with boneless pork loin chops keeps the cooking time for this meal in check. These thin pork chops take just about 3 minutes per side to cook through. Overcooked pork chops are the worst, so I make sure to cook them to 145 degrees (which is the safe internal temperature for pork according to the USDA) so that they’re still just ever so slightly pink in the center and tender.
Apples get a savory treatment in the saucy topping combined with sweet onion. I like this recipe with sweet Braebrun or Gala apples, but you could also use some of the fun varieties available at farmer’s markets this time of year, like Honeycrisp. Adding a touch of butter at the ends lends richness and a smooth texture to the sauce.
Just like everyone else, my life is busy, so I tend to look for recipes with short ingredient lists and quick prep times. As I dietitian, I also want to cook with fresh ingredients, instead of using convenience products. With just seven ingredients, this 30-minute dinner recipe is a keeper in my book!
Check out the new 30 Minute Dinners Plan and let us know what your favorite recipe is so far.
- 6 boneless pork loin chops
- ¾ teaspoon salt, ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 apples, thinly sliced
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper; rub with rosemary.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add pork chops.
- Cook 3 minutes on each side or until done; remove from skillet, and keep warm.
- Add apple and onion to skillet; sauté 5 minutes or until tender and golden.
- Add chicken broth, and cook 2 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Stir in butter.
- Serve over pork chops.
Related Recipe: 30 Minute Dinner Recipe: White Bacon Pizza