We all know that vacations can be some much needed time away. Time to spend with family. Time to just get out of town. Time to get away from it all. However, a vacation can put a major dent in your budget if you let it. The major budget buster can actually be food! Luckily for you, we’ve compiled five easy ways you can save on food while you travel. Find them below and tell us how you save on food when you travel!
- It’s amazing how something small like water bottles can add up fast. Pack water bottles for each member in your family to refill at water fountains in amusement parks or at soda fountains at gas stations.
- Pack brown bag lunches for each member in your family for road trips. If you don’t have time to pack lunches, go through the mailed coupons you get from fast food restaurants and grab a few to take on the road with you.
- If you stay in a hotel, try to book one with free meals for kids and/or free breakfast.
- Buy snacks in bulk at a store like Costco or find a buy one, get one free sale at a grocery store for your kids’ favorite snack foods to avoid overspending in gas stations , planes or amusement parks. Good filling snacks include peanut butter crackers, granola, and fruit.
- If you stay somewhere with a kitchenette or full kitchen, you can save big on food by cooking in. eMeals has provided a vacation plan for families to use that includes 7 dinners priced out at Walmart and broken down into a grocery list organized by aisle. The plan keeps prices low, with the cost being only around $2 per person.
*Note that our members have access to this plan on their member’s page and new members get the vacation plan free with signup.