A couple weeks ago, we asked you what your favorite uses for fresh blueberries were, and one of the things we heard most was baking. (Do you follow us on social media? Join the fun on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!) So we’re here today to oblige all you blueberry fans with this delicious, easy snack cake from the eMeals + All You partner plan.
Lemon juice and zest are the perfect pairing for fresh berries, and a snack cake is just about as easy as it can be—no fussy layers, no temperamental frosting to fool with. Just a light, perfectly sweetened, summery cake you can bring with you to a casual get-together or picnic (or sneak bites throughout the day as you pass through the kitchen. That’s what we do!). Any way you slice it, this snack cake is a pretty perfect way to enjoy those fresh seasonal berries we all know and love.
Toss the blueberries in a little bit of all-purpose flour to help prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the snack cake while baking.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pint blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a medium bowl.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter, sugar and zest until light, about 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. In another bowl, mix buttermilk and vanilla. Beat ⅓ of flour mixture into butter mixture until nearly combined, then beat in half of buttermilk mixture. Repeat, ending with last ⅓ of flour mixture; beat until just combined. Stir in lemon juice.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan and sprinkle blueberries on top, pressing down lightly. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Don’t Know What the eMeals + All You Plan Is? Let Us Help.
We’ve partnered with two of the country’s best-known magazines, ALL YOU and HEALTH, to create our first-ever branded meal plans. The beauty of these new plans is that top-rated, kitchen-tested recipes from ALL YOU and HEALTH are now available in an easy digital format that simplifies dinner planning and also can be saved in one place for easy access. And it’s all powered by eMeals. All You’s plan comes with a weekly collection of seven tasty, seasonal dinner recipes plus a bonus dessert, and all recipes add up to less than $3.50 per serving. Click here to find out more!