Forget plain old banana bread – this version laced with creamy peanut butter and rich chocolate is the perfect treat for breakfast, lunch, snack, dessert, late-night….okay, really it’s good anytime.
The graham cracker crumbs add extra depth of flavor and make for a beautiful brown color. If you don’t have graham crackers on hand, substitute whole wheat flour. Be sure to use overly ripe bananas with nearly black skin. As the bananas ripen, the sugar content doubles, resulting in a sweet, moist bread.
If desired, wrap the entire loaf or individual slices tightly in plastic wrap, and freeze in a zip-top plastic bag up to one month. But you should probably double the recipe if you plan to have any left for freezing – we’re pretty sure this bread will disappear quickly!
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups mashed very ripe banana (about 4 medium)
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine banana, peanut butter, yogurt, butter and eggs; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add sugar and beat until well blended.
- Add flour mixture; beat on low speed just until combined.
- Place chocolate squares in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power 30 seconds; stir. Microwave 30 seconds longer; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Add 1 cup of bread batter to melted chocolate, stirring just until combined.
- Spread half of plain batter into a 9x5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Top with half of chocolate batter. Repeat layers. Swirl batters together using a knife or wooden skewer.
- Bake 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into slices.
Did you know that our Healthy Lunch Plan includes a Bonus Packable Dessert, like this banana bread recipe, each week? Download a sample plan here.