It doesn’t matter how many recipes for enchiladas we try, we always want more. The perfect blend of ooey-gooey cheese, Tex-Mex flavors, and comfort food, enchiladas are a constant favorite around our dinner tables. Even when we’re watching our waistlines, we can still indulge, thanks to this recipe from the eMeals + HEALTH Magazine partner plan. Store-bought salsa verde and deli rotisserie chicken help ease the prep work and get this dish in the oven (and on the table) faster. Serve it with a Southwest-themed salad with corn and black beans, and you’ll have a Tex-Mex feast the whole family will love.
Related Article: Introducing the new ALL YOU and HEALTH Meal Plans!
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 cups cooked, shredded skinless chicken (from one 1½-lb rotisserie chicken)
- 2 cups coarsely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 (16-oz) jar salsa verde
- 1 (4-oz) can diced mild green chilies, drained
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 16 (5½-inch) corn tortillas
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Warm oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine onion mixture, chicken, 1 cup cheese, ½ cup salsa and mild green chilies. Stir until well combined.
- Pour broth into skillet and heat until almost simmering. Working one at a time, dip a corn tortilla into broth, taking care to work quickly so tortilla doesn't become too soft, then transfer to a clean workspace. Spoon about 2 Tbsp of chicken mixture down center of tortilla. Roll tortilla around filling like a cigar, and transfer, seam side down, to prepared dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. Pour remaining salsa over top of enchiladas, spreading to coat. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
- Bake enchiladas, uncovered, until cheese is melted and enchiladas are hot throughout, about 20 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with cilantro.
Interested in learning more about the eMeals + HEALTH Magazine partner plan? eMeals tames the dinnertime rush with weekly meal plans (and coordinating grocery lists sorted by grocery aisle and exact package sizes!) suited to your family’s needs. We’ve partnered with HEALTH magazine to bring you original HEALTH recipes every week, straight to your inbox or smartphone app. Click here to learn more and try our 14-day free trial!