Many of you have your children at home this summer, and making a fun activity out of creating lunch is a necessity. Why not gather the kids for some hands-on kitchen help when putting together this simple clean eating chicken salad from our Lunch plan? Depending on the age of your children, you can direct them to some of these “little chef” jobs for this recipe:
- Measure out ingredients.
- Roll the lemon on the counter (which helps release more juice).
- Peel and grate the cucumber.
- Wash and dry the spinach.
- Chop the rotisserie chicken.
- Split the pita rounds.
- Slice the tomatoes.
- Stir all the ingredients together.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the pitas.
Chances are, your children will love being involved with the meals they prepare and feel more ownership over the recipe. This is a great time to explain how each task is important in creating this yummy meal you can all enjoy together.
- ½ cup 2% reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ grated (peeled and seeded) cucumber
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ cups chopped deli rotisserie chicken
- 4 whole-wheat mini pita rounds, split
- ½ cup baby spinach
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- Stir together yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, salt and garlic in a large bowl.
- Add chicken, and stir to coat.
- Fill pitas evenly with chicken mixture, spinach and tomato slices.
Get our lunch meal plan here!