This version of panzanella, an Italian bread salad, includes plenty of favorite summer vegetables, as well as fresh mozzarella cheese. Head to the farmer’s market and toss together this light dinner salad to enjoy the bounty of summer.
- 1 (16-oz) loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch chunks
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 (10-oz) package mixed baby greens
- 1 (8-oz) package fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into chunks
- 5 heirloom or ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large cucumber, cut in half and sliced
- ½ cup halved pitted kalamata olives
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss bread cubes and 2 tablespoons olive on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until toasted, stirring occasionally.
- Combine greens, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, basil and capers in a large bowl.
- Add bread cubes, remaining oil and the vinegar; toss well to coat.
Want more fresh, seasonal Mediterranean-inspired recipes? Check out the eMeals Mediterranean meal plan for fresh, simple recipes for every night of the week.