Tabbouleh is a Middle Eastern salad traditionally made of bulgur. We’ve given this dish a fresh spin by substituting oh-so-popular quinoa.
Quinoa – technically a seed – is a whole grain full of fiber and high-quality protein. Tossing it with vitamin-packed vegetables and fresh herbs and heart-healthy olive oil makes a salad that delivers a powerful nutrient punch. Serve with hummus and whole wheat pita bread for a complete vegetarian meal, or serve with grilled chicken or lamb as a healthy side dish at your next summer cookout. This recipe is also gluten-free and vegan.
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- ½ English cucumber, diced
- ½ cup finely chopped green onions
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions; cool to room temperature.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add quinoa, and toss to combine.
- Let stand 1 hour before serving. Yields 4 servings.
For more yummy clean eating recipes, check out the eMeals Clean Eating meal plan.