After you’ve dyed the eggs and your kids are still looking for the next project….Here’s an easy food project that takes Rice Krispy Treats to a fun new level! Kids will have so much fun packing the familiar gooey-marshmallow cereal mixture into plastic Easter eggs. We recommend the 3-inch size, but you can also make these in smaller plastic eggs. They’d be great to take to the classroom, too.
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 (10-oz) bag mini marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 12 (3-inch) plastic Easter eggs
- Purple, pink or other color sanding sugars (optional)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add marshmallows, vanilla and salt; cook and stir over low heat until marshmallows melt.
- Remove from heat; gradually stir in cereal until coated.
- Spray inside of plastic eggs with cooking spray.
- Working with damp hands, gently pack cereal mixture into both halves of each plastic egg.
- Close each plastic egg, pressing so that cereal halves join together to form egg shape. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes.
- Gently release rice cereal egg from each plastic mold.
- Sprinkle top half of each egg with colored sugars, if desired.
- Place decorated eggs in a clean, dry egg carton until dry.
- Makes 12 large eggs.
The recipe takes only minutes to prepare and was featured on our weekly dessert plan. You’ll probably want to have the plastic eggs washed and dried before you start the cooking.
Let the fun begin!