Lasagna is one of those meals that never gets old and is always, no matter the time of year, a crowd-pleaser. But in addition to being homey and filling, it can also be time-consuming. So here’s a recipe that takes all the great things we love about lasagna and pairs it with a speedy prep time too.
Related Recipe: Easy Weeknight Meal: Crispy Chicken Parmesan
Skip the Italian sausage if it’s pricy at your grocery store, and opt instead for 1 3/4 pounds affordable ground beef. Pasta sauce is often on sale, so use the jar that will save you a dollar. A few nips and tucks can end up saving you in total cost and helps make this recipe even more affordable.
By tossing all the ingredients together, you’re able to get dinner in the oven in about half the time it would take to layer up a normal lasagna. While it bakes, toss together a salad and slice up a French baguette. You can toast the bread in the oven while the lasagna cools. You’ll have a full Italian feast ready in about an hour!
Click the image above to download this fun recipe-card graphic. Or use the plugin below for a printer-friendly version.
- 8 oz wide egg noodles
- ¾ lb ground chuck
- 1 (16-oz) pkg ground Italian sausage
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 (24-oz) jar pasta sauce
- 1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 (8-oz) pkg shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook ground chuck, sausage, and seasoning in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink; drain, return to pan, and stir in pasta sauce and tomato sauce.
- Combine noodles and cottage cheese; stir into beef mixture. Spoon into a greased 13-x 9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake 20 minutes or until bubbly.
Interested in more kid-friendly recipes that your family will love and won’t break the bank? Check out our Kid-Friendly and Budget-Friendly meal plans. You can even try our 14-day trial for free!