Pull out your slow cooker for this easy spin on barbecue, and dinner’s ready when you get home.
Fall can be a busy time as the kids head back to school and evenings fill with meetings, practices, events and homework. Make the transition easier by planning ahead for simple weeknight meals that will fit into you schedule and provide the opportunity to gather around the dinner table with your family. A slow cooker is an invaluable tool for saving time in the kitchen. Prepare this meal in the morning, or even prepare the recipe through Step 3 the night before and refrigerate the entire slow cooker insert overnight. Plug it in in the morning and return home to a hot, wholesome meal your whole family will enjoy without the stress.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup 100% pineapple juice
- 1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook chicken 2 minutes per side or until browned.
- Place chicken in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker; top with onion.
- Whisk together pineapple juice, tomato paste, soy sauce and vinegar; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on Low 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, and shred with 2 forks. Stir cornstarch into sauce in slow cooker.
- Increase heat to High, and cook, uncovered, 30 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Return chicken to slow cooker, tossing to coat with sauce. Spoon chicken mixture evenly onto the bottom half of each bun. Cover with bun tops.
Did you know eMeals offers both Clean Eating and Classic Slow Cooker meal plans? Each week includes five simple recipes made in the slow cooker and two quick and easy meals to incorporate leftovers and help solve your dinnertime dilemma.