Healthy Apple Spice Muffins
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- ½ c all-purpose flour
- ½ t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- ¾ t cinnamon
- ½ t allspice
- ½ t nutmeg
- ½ t salt
- ½ c brown sugar, packed
- ¼ c egg substitute
- 3 T canola oil
- 1 c applesauce
- ¾ c peeled, finely chopped apple
- ¼ c chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, egg substitute, and oil until smooth.
- Add applesauce and diced apple, and stir to combine.
- Add applesauce mixture to flour mixture, and stir just until combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Fold in chopped nuts if using.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15–18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove muffins from pan and cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
Recipe by The eMeals Blog at http://blog.emeals.com/healthy-apple-spice-muffins/