Slow Cooker Vegetable Broth
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb white mushrooms, halved
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 10 fresh parsley sprigs
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 4 quarts (16 cups) water
- Combine all ingredients (except water) in a 6- or 7-quart slow cooker.
- Add water.
- Cover and cook on Low 6 hours.
- Strain through a colander set over a large pot.
- Strain again through a fine sieve or colander lined with cheesecloth.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Recipe by The eMeals Blog at http://blog.emeals.com/budget-friendly-kitchen-tip-how-to-make-your-own-broth-in-a-slow-cooker/