Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts, skinned
- 6.9 oz box chicken-flavored rice and vermicelli mix
- 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- ½ cup sour cream
- 8 oz package pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- Place chicken breasts in a large saucepan; add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes or until done.
- Cool; shred meat and discard bones.
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions.
- Line a 13x9-inch baking dish with heavy-duty nonstick aluminum foil, allowing several inches of foil to extend over sides.
- Spread rice in prepared dish.
- Combine shredded chicken, soup, water chestnuts, green chiles, and sour cream in a large bowl; stir until blended.
- Pour soup mixture over rice; top evenly with cheese.
- Cover and freeze 2 to 3 hours or until firm.
- Remove from baking dish by holding edges of foil; fold foil over casserole.
- Wrap in additional foil, making sure it is tightly sealed.
- Freeze up to 1 month.
- To serve, thaw in refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place foil-wrapped casserole in a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Uncover top, and bake 40 to 50 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Recipe by The eMeals Blog at http://blog.emeals.com/freezable-casserole-recipe-green-chile-chicken-and-rice-casserole/