Duck Dynasty Brunswick Stew
- 3 medium squirrels, cleaned and cut up*
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease, divided*
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (28-oz) cans whole tomatoes in juice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 16 oz bag frozen lima beans
- 16 oz bag cut okra
- 10 oz bag frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, plus additional for serving
- Pat squirrel dry and sprinkle evenly with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Combine flour and cayenne pepper in a shallow dish; dredge squirrel in flour mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons bacon grease in a wide heavy-bottom pot over medium-high heat. Add squirrel and cook 3 minutes per side or until browned. Remove squirrel from pot.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon bacon grease in pot. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomatoes, broth, thyme and squirrel. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 45 minutes.
- Stir in lima beans, okra, corn, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened and vegetables are tender. Serve with additional hot sauce and cornbread.
- Notes: Substitute 1 (3-lb) whole chicken, cut up, for squirrel, if desired. Vegetable oil may be substituted for bacon grease.
Recipe by The eMeals Blog at http://blog.emeals.com/duck-dynasty-brunswick-stew/