Mardi Gras season is upon us! Parades are happening and king cakes are popping up in bakeries and grocery stores. If you’ve ever made a homemade king cake, you know that it’s a messy process with delicious results. To cut down on the time and the mess, try our recipe for King Cake Bites! It’s easy enough for your kids to help with, and it comes together in a flash. These tiny bites will make you forget all about the store-bought cakes!
Related Recipe: Peanut Butter Swirl Bars
These King Cake Bites have all the classic flavors of typical king cakes. The base is buttery, flaky crescent roll dough, which is covered in a nice dusting of cinnamon and sugar. The cream cheese filling comes together quickly and has a slight hint of lemon. Once the bites come out of the oven, all that’s left is to dip them in glaze and top them with some colorful sprinkles. Have your family help you make this fun treat for Mardi Gras!
About the eMeals Dessert Plan
- 1 (8-oz) block cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 (8-oz) cans refrigerated crescent rolls
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Green, purple, and yellow sugar sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat cream cheese on medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and the lemon extract; mix well.
- Whisk together cinnamon and sugar.
- Unroll crescent roll dough on a clean surface, and separate each into 4 large rectangles, pressing perforations to seal. Then cut each into 4 smaller rectangles; sprinkle each with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Spread cream cheese filling on half of each rectangle, leaving a small border around the edges. Fold other half of dough over filling, pressing edges together to seal. Carefully transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven, and cool 5 minutes.
- While King Cake Bites are baking, whisk together remaining 1 cup powdered sugar and 3 Tbsp milk. Drizzle over King Cake Bites and decorate with sprinkles.