When you crave serious comfort food on a chilly fall evening, this Classic Chicken Pot Pie is just the recipe you need. The rich, savory filling comes together in minutes, and refrigerated pie crust offers an effortless crispy topping that makes this dish as simple as it is comforting.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (or rotisserie chicken)
- ½ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrot and onion; cook, stirring often, 7 minutes or until tender. Add flour; stir until smooth. Add chicken broth and bouillon; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, and stir in cream. Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Pour chicken mixture into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. Unroll pie crust on a work surface. Cut small slits in center to vent, and place over filling. Fold edges under.
- Bake 30 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and filling is bubbly. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Do you want more hearty and family-friendly meals like this? Try out an eMeals meal plan! Our classic plans serve up 7 dinner recipes including sides and a grocery list to help you get dinner on the table quickly and help you save dollars in your pocket! These recipes have 7 ingredients or less and can usually be assembled within 30 minutes or less!