Between all the shopping, wrapping, planning, hosting and going, who has time to whip up a homemade dish for every holiday party of the season? If you have 5 minutes and a little know-how, you can dress up store-bought items to make a stunning dish, and no one will know you didn’t spend all afternoon in the kitchen.
- Serve goat cheese with whole wheat crackers, Marcona almonds and fig jam for a stunning cheese plate.
- Pick up a vegetable tray, and serve with store-bought hummus. Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl, drizzle it with olive oil, and sprinkle with paprika and toasted pine nuts for a “homemade” look.
- Dress up store-bought salsa by stirring in fresh chopped avocado, canned black beans or black eyed peas, or fresh herbs. Serve with multigrain tortilla chips or sweet potato chips.
- Purchase a fruit tray, or create your own by combine pre-cut fruit from the produce section. Pair it with a simple dip made by stirring together low-fat plain yogurt, honey and cinnamon for a burst of color and nutrition.
- Cut a baguette into thin slices and toast until crisp. Spread jarred pesto over each baguette slice, and top with sliced roasted red peppers for quick festive crostini.
If you’re more stressed about your holiday dinner than anything else, we’ve got a FREE holiday meal planner for eMeals subscribers. Join us now for easy dinner recipes sent to your inbox everyday and get a BONUS free holiday meal plan. Sign up now to get yours.