Family Day is coming up on September 23rd, and we’re celebrating by giving you three freezable casserole recipes to help you get dinner on the table and still have plenty of time to spend with family. All of these casseroles can be prepared in advance and frozen, or double the recipe and freeze one for later in the month.
Today we’re sharing Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole from our Classic Family Meal Plan. Stay tuned for two more freezable casseroles this month, and don’t miss our Family Day Twitter Party.
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts, skinned
- 6.9 oz box chicken-flavored rice and vermicelli mix
- 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- ½ cup sour cream
- 8 oz package pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- Place chicken breasts in a large saucepan; add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes or until done.
- Cool; shred meat and discard bones.
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions.
- Line a 13×9-inch baking dish with heavy-duty nonstick aluminum foil, allowing several inches of foil to extend over sides.
- Spread rice in prepared dish.
- Combine shredded chicken, soup, water chestnuts, green chiles, and sour cream in a large bowl; stir until blended.
- Pour soup mixture over rice; top evenly with cheese.
- Cover and freeze 2 to 3 hours or until firm.
- Remove from baking dish by holding edges of foil; fold foil over casserole.
- Wrap in additional foil, making sure it is tightly sealed.
- Freeze up to 1 month.
- To serve, thaw in refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place foil-wrapped casserole in a lightly greased 13×9-inch baking dish.
- Uncover top, and bake 40 to 50 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Let eMeals help you get dinner on the table and enjoy family meals year-round.
To see more perfect Family Day oriented recipes for you to use, click here.