Sometimes I cook something and by the time I get it to the table, I already know that I’m going to be disappointed. I know it isn’t going to make my tastebuds sing and dance and do the hula. I eat it because I don’t want to waste the food or money or time it took to prepare it, but deep down all I really want is something else. But whenever I have a day like that, along comes a recipe that makes me so excited to try it that I sneak bites off the plate while walking to the table. Those are the days everyone cleans their plates and asks for seconds. The days you tuck the recipe away because you know you’re going to make it again and again. Recipes like this summer-fresh Mediterranean Grilled Onion-and-Apricot Salad.
Not only is this a fantastic salad for company (the brownie points for pretty presentation are basically guaranteed!), but it pairs perfectly with almost everything. Throw a pork tenderloin on the grill, chicken breasts, shrimp…You really can’t go wrong. And as a bonus, you’re taking advantage of in-season apricots and keeping the kitchen cool with mostly outdoor cooking. If you’re interested in more recipes that focus on fresh, in-season fare with heart-healthy oils and nuts, click here to check out our Mediterranean plan.
- ½ cup chopped pistachios
- 1 onion, sliced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons honey, divided
- 8 ripe apricots, cut in half
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- ⅓ cup small fresh mint
- ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Cook pistachios in a skillet over medium-low heat until toasted and fragrant.
- Brush onion with 1 tablespoon oil. Whisk together 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon honey; brush over cut sides of apricots.
- Grill onion, in a grill basket, 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Grill apricots 1 to 2 minutes or until grill marks appear.
- Arrange onion and apricots on a platter. Drizzle with remaining 3 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons honey. Sprinkle with cheese, nuts, mint, salt and cayenne pepper.