Over 50 years of research has confirmed the many health benefits of the Mediterranean Diet.
- Live a longer and healthier life
- Reduce your risk of several chronic diseases including heart disease, some forms of cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease
- Lower your blood pressure and LDL (AKA “bad”) cholesterol
- Improve your brain function
While the research links the overall pattern of eating to these health benefits, several features contribute to these benefits.
- Olive oil is the primary fat in the Mediterranean Diet, resulting in a diet that is high in monounsaturated fats and very low in saturated fat. By replacing saturated fats like butter with olive oil, which is rich in monounsaturated fats, you may reduce your LDL cholesterol and lower your risk of heart disease.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains are high in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to support optimal health and help ward off chronic diseases. They are also low in calories and rich in fiber, helping you fill up on fewer calories and control your weight while still feeling full.
- Fish and seafood is a source of omega-3 fatty acids, which contribute to heart health by decreasing risk of sudden cardiac death, reducing triglyceride levels, and slowing the accumulation of plaque in the arteries that can lead to heart attacks.
- Beans, nuts and seeds all provide heart-healthy unsaturated fats, protein, and filling fiber.
- Herbs and spices add an extra dose of antioxidants, which can help protect cells and prevent disease.
Our Mediterranean Meal Plan launches THIS week, so you can purchase it here!