Café muffins can weigh in at over 500 calories and contain a day’s worth of saturated fat. With a few healthy substitutions, you can make your own with just 150 calories, 0 grams of saturated fat, and 2 grams of fiber. These muffins make a delicious breakfast or snack that your family will love and you can feel good about serving. Don’t forget to check out our healthy substitutions chart in our Family Week download for more healthy substitutions.
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- ½ c all-purpose flour
- ½ t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- ¾ t cinnamon
- ½ t allspice
- ½ t nutmeg
- ½ t salt
- ½ c brown sugar, packed
- ¼ c egg substitute
- 3 T canola oil
- 1 c applesauce
- ¾ c peeled, finely chopped apple
- ¼ c chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, egg substitute, and oil until smooth.
- Add applesauce and diced apple, and stir to combine.
- Add applesauce mixture to flour mixture, and stir just until combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Fold in chopped nuts if using.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15–18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove muffins from pan and cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
eMeals is launching a new breakfast plan soon, but until then check out our lunch and dinner meal plans.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 150, Total Fat: 5 g (Sat Fat: 0 g), Cholesterol: 0 mg, Total Carb: 24 g (Fiber: 2 g, Sugar: 12 g), Protein: 3 g, Sodium: 190 mg