Every cook’s favorite new tool, the Instant Pot, helps give a classic stew a speedy upgrade. Instead of cooking for six to eight hours in a slow cooker, sweet potatoes turn tender and juicy chicken thighs are infused with the rich flavors of bone broth and fire-roasted tomatoes while they cook.
To add a hearty touch to this soup, make a base of celery root mash while the stew cooks. Both parts of this meal will be complete about the same time so you can go from ingredients to dinner in about an hour.
Instant Pot Chicken-and-Spinach Stew with Celery Root Mash
Serves 4-6/Family Paleo Meal Plan
Ingredients for Stew
3 sweet potatoes, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tsp salt
1/2 lb nitrite-free Cajun smoked sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 (14.5-oz) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
2 (14.5-oz) cans organic bone broth
1 (10-oz) pkg baby spinach
Ingredients for Mash
2 lb celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup organic bone broth
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
Instructions for Stew
- Place sweet potatoes, onion, and garlic in an Instant Pot. Sprinkle chicken with salt. Place chicken and sausage over vegetables; add tomatoes and broth.
- Cover and cook 20 to 25 minutes on the “Meat/Stew” setting or until chicken is done. When the timer goes off, turn the vent on the lid, and let steam release. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Shred chicken using 2 forks; stir in spinach before serving.
Instructions for Mash
- While stew cooks, bring celery root and water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven; cook 25 to 30 minutes or until tender.
- Drain; return celery root to Dutch oven.
- Add broth, oil, salt and pepper; mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.
Learn More About the Paleo Plan
Take the stress out of meal planning for your Paleo goals with the eMeals Paleo Plan. A dedication to Paleo the lifestyle can be time-consuming, but eMeals simplifies it with a mealtime solution that focuses on meats, seasonal vegetables and fresh fruit. It’s your goal. We’re just here to help.
More Instant Pot Dinners: