Why do we love carbs? Oh, the incessant fight against gorging on an entire bag of chips, a bowl of pasta or candy. You know who you are!
The science behind our seemingly irresistible craving for them is that it causes an immediate surge in our blood sugar, which is a quick fix for energy and satisfaction. There is more to it, and the “crash” that follows creates an up and down glycemic de-stabilization that harms your health over time.
The journey of following a low carb diet is one that finally leads you to the place where your body’s blood sugar or glycemic level stabilizes. Stabilized blood sugar is so much better for your over-all health and helps your body maintain it’s most crucial functions. Your metabolism stabilizes which helps you assimilate and absorb the foods you eat. (A consistent metabolism is a key in permanent weight loss, as well!)
Furthermore, a stabilized metabolism also produces an anti-inflammatory environment in your body, which is KEY in the anti-aging battle. The list of benefits continues with better heart health, addressing cholesterol levels, diabetes and hypoglycemia, etc.
So, the case for this approach to eating has been long established! Here are some tips for continuing on this path faithfully.
- Fruit is your friend. Discover the natural sweetness of pure fruit. Avoid juices. Fruit juice metabolizes much quicker, whereas, the whole fruit takes longer, thus not spiking your blood sugar.
- Check out your store’s ‘low carb’ selections. Products are being developed all the time to give us good substitutes. Read the labels, though. Sometimes the ‘low carb’ claim is a claim, not fact.
- The sweet potato is a great choice when ‘a potato’ just sounds SO good. They do not metabolize the same as a white/regular potato. They are naturally sweet and LOADED with vitamins and minerals. Sweet potato chips are sold everywhere and a great choice!
- A new product that people are discovering is AGAVE NECTAR. It’s liquid nectar, similar in texture to honey. It’s a great new sweetener that is easy to use and doesn’t have an aftertaste. You can use it in drinks, baking and sauces. Mix it into plain yogurt. The carbohydrate in agave nectar has a low glycemic index, which provides sweetness without the unpleasant “sugar rush” and unhealthful blood sugar spike caused by many other sugars. Agave nectar is a delicious natural sweetener that can be used moderately to replace high-glycemic and refined sugars. You can go online for plentiful recipes.
- Fats— bottom line… mono-unsaturated fats are GOOD for you! Olives, peanuts, Macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, almonds, avocados, sunflower and canola oil. Get used to making these a daily part of your diet.
- Remember with low-carb eating, calories aren’t the issue. It’s WHAT you eat and the effect these foods have on your blood sugar levels and metabolism that matter.
- Shop the perimeter of the store. This will keep you OUT of the HIGH CARB DANGER ZONES!
- Check out E-Mealz.com for our Low Carb Meal Plan. This is a great place to start if you’re attempting to watch your carb intake and want a healthier eating plan!