With a fresh and zippy sauce, this superfast dinner recipe is a must-make for spring. Accompanied by a hearty serving of vegetables, you can enjoy Italian food without missing the pasta.
Chicken breasts can weigh 8 to 12 ounces, which is more than double the recommended protein serving of 4 ounces. If your chicken breasts are large, cut each one in half to cut calories and stretch your food budget.
Related Article: Quick Guide to Portion Control Sizes
To pound chicken breasts with the quickest cleanup, place the chicken in a zip-top plastic bag rather than covering with plastic wrap. Then pound the chicken to an even thickness using a heavy skillet or the heel of your hand. (Watch the video here: Kitchen Tip: How to Pound Chicken Video.) To trim asparagus, break off the tough end of the asparagus spear. It will naturally break where the woody part ends and the tender part begins. Then either break off the end of each spear, or line them up and use the one you already trimmed as a guide to trim the remaining asparagus.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp drained capers
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pound chicken to ½-inch thickness. Cook chicken in hot coconut oil in a large skillet, in batches if needed, until done. Remove chicken, and sauté garlic in pan 1 minute.
- Stir in broth; cook until reduced to ¼ cup. Remove from heat; stir in capers, lemon juice and olive oil. Serve sauce over chicken.
- Italian Asparagus and Mushrooms:
- 1 lb asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 (8-oz) pkg sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper
- Sauté asparagus and mushrooms in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat 4 minutes or until just tender.
- Stir in garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute.
If you like this recipe, check out the eMeals Paleo meal plan (available in breakfast, lunch and dinner) or the Low Carb meal plan. All of our meal plans come with a free 14-day trial, dinner recipes, and a compiled grocery list!