We gave the eMeals Test Kitchen a recipe challenge: Convert a classic favorite, Sloppy Joes, into a Clean Eating-approved recipe. Armed with a recipe and willing taste-testers, we sent ’em to the kitchen. Here’s the result! (And don’t forget to check out the first #MakeItClean recipe challenge: Creamy Chicken Casserole.)
Related: Clean Eating Pantry List
This family-friendly recipe uses canned tomato sauce and ketchup as the base for a kid-approved sauce. It’s a fast, easy recipe to bring out on a busy weeknight. The Worcestershire sauce adds smokiness and tang, and classic hamburger buns sop up all the saucy goodness.
- 11/2 lb ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 hamburger buns
- Cook ground beef, bell pepper and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until beef is browned and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Add salt, tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; stir into beef mixture. Cook 3 minutes or until bubbly; serve on hamburger buns.
CLEAN EATING RECIPE
And here’s the Clean Eating counterpart! Lean ground beef replaces regular, for fewer calories and fat. An all-natural marinara sauce imparts more flavor than regular canned tomato sauce, minus the added sugar. We recommend an organic brand like Amy’s Kitchen, which has low-sodium marinara sauce available too. Unsulphured molasses steps in for store-bought ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. The results are still family-friendly and speedy, but skip the non-Clean-Eating-approved Worcestershire sauce and heavy-on-the-sodium-and-sugar store-bought ketchup. Whole-wheat hamburger buns up the healthiness too.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 organic green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup all-natural marinara sauce
- 1 Tbsp unsulphured molasses
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add ground beef, onion, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or until beef is browned and vegetables are tender.
- Combine marinara sauce and molasses; stir into beef mixture. Cook 3 minutes or until bubbly; serve on hamburger buns.