Our Paleo meal plan writer and Food and Wine expert, Scott Jones, fired up his grill and took a photo of these cleverly-wrapped burgers to share. They were recently on our Paleo meal plan and we’ve had multiple people write into us and tell us how much they loved this recipe! Creamy guacamole balances the spicy patties in this Paleo burger sure to please any carnivore, caveman or not! Enjoy these burgers wrapped in lettuce, instead of a bun, for a Paleo, low-carb, gluten-free dinner.
- 2 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 tablespoon Southwest seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine beef, 1 tablespoon cilantro, Southwest seasoning, garlic salt and ½ teaspoon pepper in a large bowl; mix just until blended. Shape beef mixture into 6 equal patties.
- Place patties on a grill rack rubbed with oil.
- Grill, covered with grill lid, 6 minutes per side or until no longer pink and a thermometer reads 165 degrees.
- Peel avocados, and mash with a fork until chunky. Add lime juice, garlic powder, remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro and ½ teaspoon pepper; mix well.
- Assemble burgers with lettuce leaves (as the bun), patties and guacamole.