Sometimes, all we want is a tried-and-true classic. And who better to turn to for ooey, gooey, home-cooked comfort food than Paula Deen? She shared her recipe for The Lady and Sons Lasagna with us for the new eMeals + Paula Deen partner meal plan. The plan features seven of Paula’s very own main dish and side-dish recipes and a compiled grocery list, every week!
Did you miss our Paula Deen + eMeals announcement? Get all the details here!
You can prepare this recipe through step 4 and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake. If you make it ahead, increase the bake time to 40 minutes total.
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1½ tsp Paula Deen’s Seasoned Salt
- 1½ tsp Paula Deen’s House Seasoning
- 1½ tsp Paula Deen’s Sweet Italian Herb Blend
- 1½ tsp sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 6 to 9 long strips lasagna noodles
- 12 oz cottage cheese, mixed with 1 beaten egg
- and ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- To make the sauce, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1 cup water, onions, peppers, garlic, parsley, seasoning mixtures, sugar and bay leaves in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Crumble the ground beef in a saucepan. Cook until no pink remains, then drain off the fat. Add the ground beef to the stockpot. Simmer 20 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers, cook the pasta according to the package directions. (If sauce is too thin, you can thicken it up at this time by mixing 1 Tbsp cornstarch and ¼ cup of cold water. Bring sauce back to a boil. Stir in cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly.) Remove bay leaves.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. To assemble lasagna, place a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a 9- x 13-inch pan. Layer ⅓ of each, noodles, cottage cheese mixture, Gruyere, Swiss and Cheddar cheeses. Pinch off small pieces of cream cheese and dot over other cheeses. Add another layer of sauce. Repeat layering 2 to 3 times, ending with sauce. This may be covered and refrigerated.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and top with mozzarella and continue to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.
Want more of Paula Deen’s recipes? Check out the eMeals Paula Deen Plan, and give our free 14-day trial a try!