One of the joys the holidays bring is a regular reason to share the bounties of cooking and food with friends and family. Call it an excuse to splurge, bake, and treat ourselves—either way, we’re happy to oblige. That said, there are only so many pumpkin pies one can enjoy before you start yearning for something a little different. That’s where this recipe comes in. A delicate, tender two-layer pumpkin cake that doesn’t have to be perfect to wow a crowd. In fact, the more rustic it turns out, the better!
Spiced with the flavors of pumpkin pie, the layers come together easily and fill your home with the aromas of the holidays while they bake. By the time they’re done cooling, you can have a batch of vanilla-scented cream cheese frosting at the ready. Layer it up on a pretty serving plate or plastic cake container (if you’re traveling with it). Then let the kids help you decorate the top and sides with simple glazed pecans.
Kitchen Tip: As a general rule, use shortening to grease cake pans. Don’t forget to flour them too!
The cake layers and glazed pecans can both be made in advance. Freeze the cake layers a few days ahead of time (they’ll be easier to frost when they’re frozen). The pecans can keep in an airtight container at room temperature until you’re ready to frost the cake. (Psst—They’re also great for snacking!)
Kitchen Tip: Spread a very thin layer of frosting over the top of the cake layer before putting the rest of the frosting on the layer. This is called a crumb coat, and will help keep the tender cake from tearing as you frost it.
The syrup mixture for the pecans is very thick, but don’t worry. It’ll melt in the oven and coat the nuts completely.
So this holiday season, in between all the cookies and pies, give this cake a try. If you’re like us, you’ll be snacking on pecans and picking pumpkin-flavored crumbs off your plate, thoroughly happy it’s the holiday season once again. And if you’re in search of more dessert recipes to try, why not check out the eMeals Dessert Plan? With a wonderful mix of flavors and ideas, it’s the perfect thing to spark your sugary inspirations and get you baking.
Pumpkin Layer CakeRecipe By: eMealseMeals Plan: DessertIngredients
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 21/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp table salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (15-oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (8-oz) package full-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (or use vanilla bean paste)
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- GLAZED PECANS:
- ¼ cup dark corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 11/2 cups pecan halves
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Parchment paperInstructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- Prepare cake: Whisk together flour, baking soda, pie spice, baking powder, and salt in a bowl until well blended.
- Beat together 2 cups sugar and oil at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs, and beat until blended. Add flour mixture, and beat until blended. Stir in pumpkin. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 to 27 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into center of cakes comes out clean. Let cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Once the cakes are completely cool to the touch, prepare the frosting: Beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended and smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until blended. Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Prepare the pecans: Stir together corn syrup, sugar and pie spice. (Mixture will be very thick.) Stir in pecans. Coat a piece of parchment paper in a jelly-roll pan with cooking spray, and spread pecans on parchment paper. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, stirring every 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove pecans from the oven, and spread into a single layer using a fork. Let cool completely. Decorate cake as desired with pecans.3.2.2807
-Text by Ashley Leath