Dressing up a store-bought cake mix has never been more fun. Six ingredients is all you need to make these adorably festive Red Velvet Whoopie Pies from the eMeals Dessert Plan. Buttermilk and chocolate pudding mix elevate everyday cake mix and help mask that tell-tale “mix” taste. We used a cookie scoop to easily portion out the batter onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets, but you can use a 1/4 cup measuring cup if you don’t have a cookie scoop. These would be perfect gifts for a cookie swap or holiday party with friends. They’ll keep in airtight containers for about a week.
Related Recipe: Christmas Dessert: Red Velvet Poke Cake
About the eMeals Dessert Plan
- 1 (18.5-oz) box red velvet cake mix
- ½ cup buttermilk (or see Note)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (3.9-oz) box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 (16-oz) can cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine cake mix, buttermilk, oil, eggs, and pudding mix in a large bowl. Mix on low speed with an electric mixer until ingredients are just blended, then on high 1 minute.
- Drop batter by ¼ cupfuls onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until set. Let cookies cool 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spread cream cheese frosting onto flat side of half the cookies; sandwich remaining cookies on top.