The hint of chill in the air has us thinking of fall, and that means it’s time to return to family-favorite classics. Chicken pot pie gets an easy, budget-friendly makeover in this recipe, from the eMeals + All You partner plan. Deli rotisserie chicken and frozen peas and carrots are dressed up with a creamy homemade sauce. Keep the dirty dish count low by using an ovenproof skillet topped with store-bought piecrust dough instead of transferring the filling to a baking dish. It’s fall comfort food at its best!
Related Article: Introducing the new ALL YOU and HEALTH Meal Plans!
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup whole milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1½ cups frozen peas and carrots
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 refrigerated pie crust for a 9-inch pie, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a 9-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms until golden, about 8 minutes. Remove to a bowl.
- Melt other 2 Tbsp butter in skillet. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Sprinkle in flour. Cook, whisking, until golden, about 2 minutes. Whisk in broth, then milk. Bring to a simmer. Cook, whisking, until sauce coats back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in mushrooms, vegetables and chicken. Remove from heat. Place crust on top; cut 2 vents in it. Beat egg with 1 Tbsp water; brush crust. Bake until browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
Don’t Know What the eMeals + All You Plan Is? Let Us Help.
We’ve partnered with two of the country’s best-known magazines, ALL YOU and HEALTH, to create our first-ever branded meal plans. The beauty of these new plans is that top-rated, kitchen-tested recipes from ALL YOU and HEALTH are now available in an easy digital format that simplifies dinner planning and also can be saved in one place for easy access. And it’s all powered by eMeals. All You’s plan comes with a weekly collection of seven tasty, seasonal dinner recipes plus a bonus dessert, and all recipes add up to less than $3.50 per serving. Click here to find out more!