We are continuing to showcase desserts featured in our Pinterest contest from some of our fabulous bloggers. Make sure you go enter to win our 1 year subscription eMeals giveaway & Target gift card giveaway here.
Growing up I had no idea what Strawberry Rhubarb Pie was until my husband introduced it to me when we were dating. Once I tried it, it instantly became my favorite pie. Summer is just not summer without a few Strawberry Rhubarb Pies in my house. The taste is like nothing else, sweet and tart and full of flavor! I make mine gluten-free since I have a gluten sensitivity but that doesn’t take any flavor away.
This recipe is very simple but no one would guess it, here is my recipe for the world’s best Strawberry Rhubarb Pie:
- Pie Crust:
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup shortening or Coconut oil
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour (I used Better Batter because I am gluten-free)
- 8 tbsp cup cold water
- Pie filling:
- 2 cups of Strawberries
- 2 cups of Rhubarb
- 1⅓ cup Sugar
- ⅓ cup All Purpose Flour (I used Better Batter because I am gluten-free)
- 2 Tbsps butter (optional – omit if dairy free)
- Mix together flour and salt
- Cut in Shortening or coconut oil with a pastry blender or use your hands to break it up into small pie sized pieces.
- Add water gradually until you have a nice consistency.
- Split apart into two balls roll and roll each ball flat into a pie crust. This will make enough for a double crusted pie.
- Preheat over to 425 degrees F
- Cut up Strawberries and Rhubarb into small pieces.
- Mix together Sugar and Flour.
- Put 1 cup of Strawberries and 1 cup of Rhubarb in the pie crust.
- Top with half the sugar/flour mixture.
- Put the rest of the strawberries and rhubarb in the piece crust.
- Top with the rest of the sugar/flour mixture.
- Cut up butter into small pieces and layer on top.
- Put top of pie crust on and cut slices in the middle.
- Put tin foil around the edge of the pie to prevent crust from burning
- Cook for 35 minutes (put a cookie sheet under the rack to catch any drippings.)
- Remove Tin foil from outside of crust and continue to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.