Although the official name of the University of Florida football stadium is Ben Griffin Stadium, most Gators and those in the know refer to it as “the Swamp.” The nickname comes from a quote by former coach Steve Spurrier, who said that gators live in the dangerous swamp, and “only Gators get out alive.”
In honor of the Gators, we’ve created this green swamp dip, with creamy sour cream, green spinach, and a dash of Florida heat from ground red pepper. Perfect for transporting to a tailgate, this dip can be made the night before and refrigerated until ready to serve. And just like true Gators devour their opponents, your guests are sure to devour this delicious dip in record time.
- 10 ounce box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- ½ cup drained and chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 8 ounce container sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 packet dry vegetable soup mix
- Pepper to taste
- Dash ground red pepper, optional
- Thaw spinach completely, and squeeze dry in paper towels.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add red peppers, sour cream, mayonnaise, onion, lemon juice, vegetable soup mix, pepper, and ground red pepper, if using.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with tortilla, pita, or bagel chips.
Stay tuned for our Alabama crimson tide, Ohio State, and Texas tailgating appetizers that are to come in the following weeks! These teams were the most voted on by our Facebook fans.