Texas is known for it’s Tex-Mex food, melding Mexican influences with American tastes. And just like the Longhorns, these spicy stuffed peppers pack a punch that will have fans hollering “Hook ‘Em” even more! Mix up the filling and stuff the pepper halves the day before so all you’ll have to do the day of is grill them. This is one Texas-inspired dish that would make the Longhorns proud.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ c chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt to taste
- 14 jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- Texas hot sauce, optional
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, green onions, bacon bits, lime juice, garlic, and salt to taste.
- Fill pepper halves evenly with cheese mixture.
- Place in a container for easy transport.
- When ready to cook, preheat grill to medium-high.
- Place a sheet of aluminum foil onto grill rack, and carefully place peppers on foil, being sure they don’t fall between grates.
- Cover and grill 8 to 10 minutes, or until the peppers begin to char and the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with a dash of Texas hot sauce if desired.
Come share your favorite tailgating food with us on our Facebook page!