Candy eyeballs are all the rage as we approach this holiday season! They are simple little ingredients (easy to find at your local arts and craft store) that bring cookies and cupcakes to life once you use them as garnish.
Yes, candy eyes are completely edible, and they are available in at least two sizes—plus there’s an eyelash version. Two details worth mentioning:
1. Remember to attach candy eyeballs to your dessert before the frosting or candy coating has hardened, this way they’ll stay “glued on.”
2. If you attach the candy eyes at an angle onto your dessert, it adds a fun realistic dimension.
Other crafty items for stocking your pantry this holiday season are flat wooden sticks and round white pop sticks. Find both at local arts and craft stores, as well. Flat wooden sticks work best when attached to heavier desserts like a frosted and decorated cookie, sandwich cookie or for brownies on a stick. And white pop sticks work great for cake pops or other lightweight small dessert bites.
Tip: To attach flat wooden sticks to a dessert, simply smear a bit of melted candy coating onto one side of the stick, and attach it to the back of the dessert. Let it stand to harden, and then it becomes a wrappable treat for a school party. Or, insert the stick end into a bowl or bucket as part of an edible centerpiece.
Decorating gel and candy melts® are other crafty ingredients that come in an array of colors. They open up a world of possibility for decorating Halloween goodies and beyond. For these adorable Mummy Cookies, we used wooden sticks and small candy eyeballs.
- 1 (12-oz) package vanilla candy melts®
- 1 (1-lb) package peanut butter sandwich cookies
- 1 (1-oz) package small candy eyeballs
- 1 package flat wooden sticks
- Microwave candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM 1 minute; stir. Continue to microwave in 30-second intervals; stir until completely melted.
- Spread a small amount of melted candy onto one side of each cookie, coating completely.
- Immediately press 2 candy eyes into coating near top; let stand to harden. Repeat process, coating as many cookies as desired; let stand to harden.
- Spoon remaining melted candy coating into a small zip-top bag; snip a small hole in one corner of bag. Drizzle candy back and forth over each cookie to resemble a mummy.
- Dab a small amount of melted candy onto one side of each wooden stick; attach to back of each mummy cookie, and let harden.
Can’t get enough of dessert? Check out our eMeals Dessert Meal Plan!
– Text by Julie Gunter