It wouldn’t be summer without fresh sliced watermelon. But after the seed spitting contest and a photo op with your kids smiling as the juice drips off their chins, what do you do with the rest of the melon?
Sold by street vendors in Mexico, agua fresca is made by blending fresh fruit with water and sugar for a refreshing and healthy alternative to sugar-laden sodas and premade fruit drinks. With just four ingredients, you can make a batch in less than five minutes and keep it in the fridge for up to one week. If you don’t have any watermelon on hand, you can substitute strawberries, raspberries, other kinds of melon, or try a combination of fruits.
- 6 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Garnish: lime wedges (optional)
- Using a blender, puree watermelon until smooth.
- Strain through a sieve into a pitcher, and discard solids.
- Add water, sugar, and lime juice to pitcher, and stir to combine.
- Cover and chill for at least one hour before serving.
- Garnish each glass with a lime wedge, if desired.